WELCOME TO LOCHCARRON OF SCOTLAND, SELKIRK
Lochcarron of Scotland is a Five-Star VisitScotland tourist attraction. The largest remaining working textile mill in the heart of the Scottish Borders. The mill is based in the beautiful Scottish Borders town of Selkirk, where there is a long and rich history with the textile industry.
Experience Lochcarron of Scotland's popular mill tour, which will take you through the processes of creating tartan fabrics and accessories, which are sold throughout the world, having a global appeal.
In the Visitor Centre there are a selection of products which have been created and made within the mill. As well as gift items, there are made to measure products such as a kilts, skirts and serapes, as well as exclusive collections of knitwear, coats, skirts, clothing and all can be complemented with a wide range of accessories.
Learn about the history behind Lochcarron of Scotland and experience an authentic weaving mill tour. Expert guides will lead you through the tour to see how the fabrics and accessories are made and learn just how far they travel once they leave Scotland. From designing and manufacturing to catwalk collections you truly experience an authentic working textile mill. As the world’s leading manufacturer of tartan, there are over 700 authentic Scottish tartans available to buy, all woven in the Selkirk mill.
- Full tours are scheduled Monday - Thursday. Fridays are by appointment only due to this being a non-working day for our production.
- Specific needs can be catered to if advised in advance.
- BOOK A MILL TOUR
Lochcarron have kilted numerous celebrities over the years, from Shrek to Sean Connery and have woven fabrics for some the world’s top fashion houses including Vivienne Westwood, Ralph Lauren, Paul Smith, Burberry and Victoria Beckham to name but a few. You are certainly in very good company at Lochcarron.
- Top quality Scottish products including an exclusive range of knitwear and accessories in cashmere and natural fibres.
- Full range of Lochcarron of Scotland woven accessories in family and clan tartans which have been made here in the mill.
- Made to measure items for men, including kilt outfits and trews for those special occasions, weddings, black tie events, ceilidhs and Burns suppers.
- Made to measure items for women such as serapes, stoles, skirts, kerry jackets, sashes.
- Gift items, greeting cards, postcards Scottish crafts, books.
- Highland accessories, perfect for many occasions such as groomsmen's gifts, bridal party gifts.
- Home interiors, woven tartan blankets in natural fibres, perfect for outdoor picnics or to compliment any interior. Made to measure items, such as cushions, table runners, napkins.
- Cloth, tartan and designer fabrics are woven here in the mill.
The Coffee Shop is bright and spacious and a great place to get together with friends for a cup of fair trade coffee or tea from the Edinburgh Coffee Company. Click onto the menu for full details.
- Afternoon tea is now availble from Monday - Saturday 2.00pm - 4.00pm.
- Iced drinks are available throughout the summer months.
- Pick up one of our loyalty cards and for every 8 coffees/teas you buy, you’ll get a 9th free.
- Just 2 minutes from the A7 with complimentary parking.
- Complimentary WiFi is available in our Coffee Shop.
- In the summer, outdoor seating is available.
- Take away food and drinks for those days when you can't stop.
- A high chair is available for very young children.
|Visitor Centre Opening Times||Mill Tour Times
Our usual hours are noted here, please see below for opening times over the holiday period.
Monday - 9am - 5pm
Tuesday - 9am - 5pm
Wednesday - 9am - 5pm
Thursday - 9am - 5pm
Friday - 9am - 5pm
Saturday - 9am - 5pm
Sunday - CLOSED
Christmas Eve 9 am - 4 pm (Coffee Shop 3 pm)
CLOSED - Christmas Day & Boxing Day
Usual hours - 27th - 30th December
December 31st 9 am - 4 pm (Coffee Shop 3 pm)
CLOSED - January 1st - 4th 2020
Monday - Thursday
*Closed for 2 weeks over Christmas. Please check dates.
Children under 14 FREE
GET IN TOUCH
For all enquiries please contact us, we are always happy to hear from you or give us feedback through TripAdvisor.
Lochcarron Visitor Centre
Telephone: 01750 726 100
- Our facilities are child-friendly.
- All public areas are fully wheelchair accessible.
- We welcome assistance dogs.
- We have fully trained first aiders throughout the mill and Visitor Centre
- Disabled WC facilities in the Visitor Centre and the mill.
HOW TO GET HERE
Selkirk is 42 miles south of Edinburgh city centre on the A7 and 76 miles from Newcastle on the A696 & A68
BY CAR Driving time will take appox 1 hour from Edinburgh. Enter into Sat Nav our Postcode: TD7 5DZ.
- Complimentary parking
- Designated disabled parking
BY RAIL Travelling time will take 50 minutes. Go to Edinburgh Waverly Station - Galashiels. click on Train Timetable
BY BUS Galashiels - Selkirk Bus Station beside Galashiels Train Station at the Interchange, bus 73 company: Border Buses Timetable
Edinburgh - Selkirk X95 Border Buses - click on Timetable
The nearest bus stop is at Charlie's Brae or Market Place.
From Charlies Brae walk north towards Ettrick Terrace, sharp left onto Ettrick Terrace. Next right towards the steps, turn left at the bottom. Follow the road until you see the signs for Lochcarron Visitor Centre. Take care crossing the road!
From Market Place follow A7 onto Ettrick Terrace, take the steps to your left onto Dunsdale Road, turn left at the bottom. Keep following the road until you see the signs for Lochcarron Visitor Centre.
BY BIKE We welcome cyclists, and have a secure bike rack at the side of the Lochcarron Visitor Centre.
PLAN YOUR JOURNEY Click here to take you to the Traveline Website. Please use 'Dunsdale Road, Selkirk, Selkirkshire' in the 'To' field.